Saturday, December 10, 2011

Crimson Soul 2, Sortied and Prepared to Launch!

Today's blog topics include: Lessons learned from working on Crimson Soul 2; assorted Evangelion and Gundam references; a gradual (?) descent into madness!? 

Tim Cody is currently:
Working on: Crimson Soul 2 cleanup
Playing: Bulletstorm (PS3)
Watching: Video Game Awards (or as I call them, "Games Released in the Last Two Months Awards")
Eating: Delicious Domino's bread bowl



Prep the weird womb juice and plug-suit up! I approved the first proof of Crimson Soul 2, and submitted everything for digital distribution. It's just a matter of time as it populates the internet!

The e-book is already available via Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Smashwords, and the physical copy via Amazon--should just be a few more days until the physical copy populates the rest of the outlets, and that'll be that! Crimson Soul 2 will soar through the cosmos on wings that are apparently made of gundanium, but appear just as pliable and feathery as wings made of feathers.

The experience of writing Crimson Soul 2 has been a little different than Crimson Soul 1, I've learned a few more lessons which I can apply moving forward.

1) Writing five days a week burns me out. Between jobs I tried five days a week, eight hours a day, and it was too much. I only produced a little more writing than a schedule of two days a week, and writing produced later in the week required more editing than usual. Two days a week, eight hours a day is a bit less than I'd like, but it tends to work better than five days a week.

2) How to punctuate dialog. A simple lesson, but a lesson I didn't have such a great grasp on for Crimson Soul 1. I intend to go back and fix up the punctuation in Crimson Soul 1, at least for the e-book version. Crimson Soul 1's dialog is punctuated mostly correct, and not in a way that's technically wrong--just a way that's likely unfamiliar to readers, and, okay, maybe a little wrong...

3) Preparing e-books doesn't need to take all day. It took eight or nine hours to prepare Crimson Soul 1 for e-book distribution, mostly because I couldn't figure out some Nook/Nook Color inconsistency issues. The interior image would duplicate itself, and it took forever to figure out what was up with it. With this in mind, the e-books looked good on the first shot, and the only waiting I had to do was waiting for Smashwords to auto-vet my document. Which took three hours, because their style guide says that .PNG images work best.

Which is totally untrue. .JPEG or bust.

4) I think the beard plays. I've been told it's rather stately, and when photographed, it seems to trap light like a black hole. So it'll be sticking around at least through the holidays.

5) I'm going to write no matter how few people read my books. You'll never stop me! And one day, as I sit upon my throne of Tim Cody novels, laughing down at the unpublished masses, I'll count the tens of dollars earned in royalties, and you shall rue the day for no reason in particular! Mwahahaaaah...

That's that and marmalade!

-Tim Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment