Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Just Love When A Story Comes Together!

Today's blog topics include: Writing new content VS. rewriting older content; fending off Past Tim; not drinking bleach; feeling like Liam Neeson; thoughts on BloodRayne: Betrayal and Dead Island

Tim Cody is currently:
Writing: Crimson Soul II
Almost Playing: Dead Island (PS3)
Watching: More Bleach
Dining Upon: Spaghetti


It's been a little while since my last update because I've been working up the courage to fulfill a promise I made via FaceBook on August 21st. Check out my page to catch up, and give it a Like if you're so inclined. Tim Cody's FaceBook Page

Or since I just learned how to add photos to the blog post, just check out this screenshot. But it'd be cooler if you wanted to give my FaceBook page a Like.

So my apologies, Matt, but I won't be drinking bleach for this blog. I was going to, really, but I used all I had left turning my black shirts a weird pinkish red color.

Anyway, so I've been working through Crimson Soul 2 for the past month or so, and I have about 100 pages to go.

Ish.

100ish pages to go.

As with Crimson Soul 1, I had finished writing the original a long time ago and recently began rewriting it. This week marked the first time in a long time that I actually wrote 100% brand new content, starting with just an outline--just like a real writer. It was quite refreshing, and went much smoother than the usual re-writes. Updating something written a while ago to my since-improved writing style takes a bit more effort than just starting from scratch.

Sometimes I forget and think "Is this something Past Tim would do, or something Current Tim does?" It isn't usually too difficult to figure out, but it's still something I have to be conscious of. And that's why we have editors, to make sure Past Tim stays in the past. :)

Rewriting a story you weren't entirely happy with is a satisfying practice, though. It's like assembling a puzzle, only I'm allowed to create new pieces. Figuring out how all the story elements fit together, it makes me feel like Liam Neeson. "I just love when a story comes together!"

Secret Technique 46: Blog Topic Change!

I had been looking forward to the PSN title BloodRayne: Betrayal, despite the fact I'm not really into side scrollers. It launched on Tuesday, and I played the demo. I was fairly disappointed, I guess I thought it would be different from other side scrollers. But no, it's a side scroller; I knew that going in, so I'm not exactly surprised. The art direction is pretty cool, though, very comic booky, and I like Rayne's idle animations. The attention to detail is pretty good. I would recommend it to people who like side scrollers, but...not to people who don't like them...

That was a silly thing to type.

I quite enjoyed the first two BloodRayne games, way back on PS2, even though BloodRayne 2 was rather crashy. Which is why I thought I'd enjoy Betrayal (in case anyone was wondering why I thought I'd suddenly like something I don't typically like).

More exciting in my video game realm is Dead Island, which also released Tuesday. Borderlands but with zombies, so I'm pretty excited to jump online with two of my brothers and play it all weekend. I spent a comical amount of hours going over the zombie survival strategy with my brother, deciding who should play which character, which skills would be most useful for survival on an island infested with the undead, and now we're ready to go in with a plan.

Because everything, from video games to PAX, is much more fun when you have a painstakingly detailed plan.

Oh snap, I forgot I'd set a reminder for Martian Child. Finally gonna watch that shit.

John Cusack, take me away.

-Tim Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment